About This Product
Whether you're an architect or contractor, Knauf High Performance Boards are designed to make your life easier.
Knauf Safeboard is a unique, patented X-ray resistant plasterboard with Barium Sulphate in its core. It effectively and significantly reduces the amount of lead needed within X-ray shielding partitions, in many cases removing the need for lead altogether.
Removing lead from the structure reduces both the weight of the partition, and the health & safety risks to those involved in handling and installation. Safeboard is installed in the same way as other plasterboards, simplying both design and installation, reducing time, labour and wasate costs when compared with a lead-lined system.
When used as part of a Knauf system, Safeboard will also give up to 60 minutes of fire protection without the need for additional components. This performance is fully tested and backed with a Knauf System Performance Warranty, providing warranties for the building and peace of mind for the client.
- Thermal conductivity: 0.25 W/mK
- Compliance (to EN 520 Classification): Type D & F
- Reaction to fire: The National Classification is “Limited combustibility” but the European Classification is rated as “A2”.
With Barium Sulphate in its core, in many cases Knauf Safeboard removes the need for lead altogether. Ideal for all applications within the healthcare sector where X-ray shielding is required.
This board can speed up the process of design and installation as fewer components are needed to complete the shielding. Joints must be finished with Knauf Safeboard Joint Filler. Every layer of Safeboard (board joints and screw heads) must be jointed, ensuring joints are staggered. Joint tape is not required.
Contractors will benefit from reduced labour costs, faster project completion times, reduced health & safety risks, and less issues with waste removal from the site. Furthermore, Safeboard can be recycled with other gypsum products.
- 1.5m² per board
- What is the weight of the board?
12.5mm – 17kgm²
- What is the colour of the board?
Grey face with a yellow core.
- What fire rating does the board give?
We test fire resistance performance using the complete Knauf system such as a partition wall, ceiling or floor, and it is the complete Knauf system that will achieve a fire rating. This means the board alone cannot be given a fire rating. Contact Knauf Technical Services for more information.
- What acoustic performance does the board give?
We acoustically test the board on a full Knauf system; it is the system that will achieve an acoustic rating. Contact Knauf Technical Services for more information.
- What edge profiles are available?
Unlike most of our boards, this has a rounded tapered edge. Use Knauf Joint Filler to fill the joints.
- What is the acceptable moisture content?
If the board has been exposed or semi-exposed for a brief period, it is common for those inspecting it to use a damp proof meter such as a Protimeter, in such cases we would recommend as a rule of thumb that the board should be suspected of lasting damage if the reading exceeds 16-18. Below 16 is acceptable.
- What is the maximum temperature that the board can withstand?
- What are the manufacturing board size tolerances?
In accordance to EN 520:2004 Knauf manufacturers its board to the below tolerances: Width +0/-4 mm Length +0/-5 mm Thickness +0/-5 mm
- What is the maximum finish weight that can be applied to the board?
- Is the board lead lined?
No, it has Barium Sulphate in its core.
- What do I use to joint this product?
Knauf Safeboard Joint Filler. You need to joint every layer of Safeboard (board joints and screws heads), ensuring joints are staggered. You do not need to tape the joints.
All Documents including brochures, datasheets, declaration of performances and MSDSs: Resources and Literature
Case Study: Whitley Clinic, Harley Street
- Reduces overall mass versus a similar lead lined partition whilst maintaining performance.
- Available in tapered edge (TE) in va
- Use in conjunction with Knauf Safeboard Filler, plasters, fixings, plasterboard adhesive and metal systems to receive the Knauf Systems Warranty.
EN520, Type D and F