Build for world we live in

UK population projected to hit 70 million in 2029

UK population projected to hit 70 million in 2029

Britain will need to carry on building more new homes at a rapid rate as the population will hit 70 million by the end of the next decade, according to the latest projections by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The study estimates that the current population of 65.6 million will now hit the 70 million mark two years later than previously estimated, a slowdown that may be related to Brexit.

However, this would still mean higher net migration and organic growth than in some of Britain's European neighbours. UK population growth for the 2015-2040 period is expected to be 16 per cent, compared with ten per cent in France and only four per cent in Germany. 

As well as the impact of immigration, the population rise will also be affected by greater longevity, with the number of people aged over 85 set to double between 2016 and 2041.

Commenting on the combination of these two elements in population growth, Andrew Nas, of the ONS Population Projections Unit, commented: "Over that period 54 per cent of growth is projected to result directly from net international migration. The other 46 per cent is because there will be more births than deaths."

Across the UK, the population rise between 2016 and 2026 will be 5.5 per cent. England will see the highest growth at 5.9 per cent, with smaller increases of 4.2 per cent in Northern Ireland, 3.2 per cent in Scotland and 3.1 per cent in Wales. 

These trends and variations will impact significantly on the level of housebuilding that Britain will need to undertake, as well as the number of roads, schools and hospitals. 

For example, the number of children born per woman will drop from 1.87 to 1.84, which will limit the number of new schools needed, whereas the increase in the number of elderly people will lead to an increased requirement for retirement homes.

 

--- Ends ---

Return to news index

Build for world we live in